Designing for Sustainability. Designers have a responsibility to seek sustainable solutions.
The Clouds' flavors...
WHAF by David Edwards + Marc BretillotResult of the discussions between culinary designer Marc Bretillot and scientist and founder of Le Laboratoire David Edwards, The WHAF is a generator is the Flavor of Clouds. The exhibition helded at Le Laboratoire through last April 15, tells the story of WHAF, his original idea, the concept in its design. The exhibition presents also the first prototypes of WHAF through its edition as an object of design, archival photos and videos. A highly taste of artscience meeting!
Valérie Abrial, March 8, 2016
Valérie Abrial, March 8, 2016
Le Laboratoire is a contemporary art and design center in central Paris, where artists and designers experiment at frontiers of science. Exhibition of works-in-progress from these experiments are frequently first steps toward larger scale cultural humanitarian and commercial works of art and design. Le Laboratoire was founded in 2007 by David Edwards as the core-cultural lab of the international network, Artscience Labs.
Imagine a cloud of flavor rising up from a kind of water jug that has the form of a large glass globe. Now, imagine gently inhaling this cloud... An olfactory and gustatory caress gently teases you. And there you have it! You have just tested and tasted (and hopefully, enjoyed!) Le Whaf, the most recent Laboratoire innovation. Invented by David Edwards, and designed by Marc Bretillot, Le Whaf once again bears eloquent witness to the surprises we can find with the encounter of art and science. Today, scientists are looking at ways to make fine-particle, breathable aerosol sprays, for the purpose of administering medical drugs to human lungs in significant quantities.
This is especially the case of the pharmaceutical startup company, Pulmatrix, which aims to combat respiratory infectious disease by generating such aerosols using ultrasonic waves, emitted by piezoelectric crystals. This is the medical science technology that David Edwards, one of the founders of Pulmatrix, has used in creating Le Whaf. Over recent months, Marc Bretillot worked with David Edwards and the Foodlab team* (* Le Laboratoire’s culinary laboratory) to come up with an original, contemplative design that expands the new gastronomic terrain recently uncovered with the invention of Le Whif.
Guests are invited to try out the first Whaf prototypes, a selection of delicious recipes created by the chef Thierry Marx. Le Whaf opens a new culinary era, when flavors become a flight of the imagination…
Three juicy liquids should be prepared for this Whif. The first one, called B52 is a combination of star anise, ginger and citrus; the second Whaf recipe, called Tomato Air is reminiscent of a light and fl oating tomato soup; and the third recipe, called Martini Classic encapsulates all the smoothness of the famous Italian drink, but with less alcohol thanks to Le Whaf process. Liquid is poured into Le Whaf, which causes a cloud to form. Since they are very small (about 5 μm - smaller than Le Whif), whaffed particles can remain in suspension for almost a minute, even when we capture the cloud inside a glass. We withdraw a pleasant, ephemeral flavor with a type of straw.
And can we whaff our own recipes? Yes, we can, bearing in mind, of course, that Le Whaf is still a design prototype. The form of Le Whaf that may eventually come into our homes will be easier to understand once we have all whiffed at Le Laboratoire for a while.
- The Growing materials, The Wood
- Edge design + the way things are, Jean Louis Frechin's Thoughts
- The Minimalism in Ornamentation, Making a comeback to bolster design and conquer new markets
- The benefits of ecology, Vitra…
- Fibre[s] Design, Innovative materials & objects for better living
- The Office of the future, NET NEST, a living space
- Kossi Aguessy, Twenty things you should know about Kossi Aguessy...
- Hans J. Wegner, The Man of details...
- Front Design, Design with senses...
- Design For a Living World, Life cycle of the materials
- Why Design Now?, The National Design Triennial Series
- Verner Panton, Panton Chair, 1959-1960
- David Ericsson, Twenty things you should know about David Ericsson...
- Charles & Ray Charles, An Iconic couple of modern design
- The New Design Cities, Creativity + Technologies + Sustainability
- Cities: “living space”, Street furniture
- Ingo Maurer, Maestro of Light
- Electronic Shadow, Naziha Mestaoui + Yacine Aït Kaci
- Hiromichi Konno, Design with your senses
- Habita Hotel MTY in Mexico, The Joseph Dirand tour...
- Hella Jongerius, A Conversation with Hella Jongerius…
- Cheick Diallo, A Journey in Dapper Museum
- Blazys Gérard, Domison
- 2012, International Year of Ecological Design, Hicham Lahlou, Industrial Designer of the Year
- Jaime Bouzaglo, Elizabetha, Your Majesty...
- Is design still the preserve of the few?, The useful can be beautiful, the beautiful has to be affordable
- The Nouveau Art, Revival: 1900 - 1933 - 1966 - 1974
- Gordon Guillaumier, Signs + Aestheticism
- Iris Mondelaers, No Frills Objects!
- 5 Creative People, To follow in 2011
- 2011: Bright and lights..., Ango, Eco-lights + Friendly by Angus Hutcheson
- Julie Tremblay, Twenty things you should know about Julie Tremblay...
- George Nelson, George Nelson - Architect, Writer, Designer, Teacher
- 6x11 Alpine Hut, OFIS Architects' retraite
- Zaha Hadid in London..., Home House
- NOMIYA, Last season at Le Palais de Tokyo!
- Mikiya Kobayashi, Simplicity with heart
- Philippe Starck, Design in time of crisis
- Simon Hasan, Vauxhall Collective
- Patrick Martinez, Twenty things you should know about Patrick Martinez...
- Cecilie MANZ, The culture of a good design
- Mercedes-Benz F-CELL Roadster, Tradition meets the future
- The Scandinavian TOUCH, IN BELGIAN FURNITURE - 1951-1966
- Y-3 by Yohji Yamamoto, Spring/Summer 2010 Men's & Women's Collection
- Destrøy Design, Objet Oblige
- Richard Hutten, 18 years of playing
- The Whif, New "Breathable Chocolate" Design Offers Chocolate Without the Calories
- Creative Reuse in Canadian Design, Cut/Paste
- VIA Design 3.0, 1979-2009 : 30 years of furniture design
- Quebec in Design, 75 Years of Works from the Collection of the MNBAQ
- Design Academy Eindhoven 2009, The beginning of change
- ARTĚL, Art for Everyday Use (1908-1935)
- Siegfried De Buck, Jewellery designer and silversmith
- Sylvain Dubuisson, Get out of my sun
- RAOUL DUFY, Ceramics
- Post mortem, Ten creators rethink the funerary urn
- Nature in a Kit, Nature and its double
- But where is Swedish design going?, From De Karin et Carl Larsson à Front Design
- Louise Campbell, To be continued
- Yrjö Kukkapuro, The functionalist
- Esplanada Studio, Tatiana Bilbao & at103, architects and designers of lightness
- Naoto Fukusawa + Jasper Morrison, Making things visible
- Javier Mariscal, Drawing Life
- Tom Dixon by George Smith, Wingback chair
- Cuisines en ébullition !, Young designers imagine the kitchens of tomorrow
- TOM DIXON, BACK TO BASICS - UTILITY 09
- COOL DOZEN+, The joy of discovery
- Per Emanuelsson & Bastian Bischoff, Cross Lounge Chair
- CHANEL, Toys for Aficionados…
- Design available for production, 13 VIA Projects Assistance Grants
- Sebastian Brajkovic, The Lathe Chairs
- ONE STRIPE, A collection for Domestic
- Paris / Design in mutation, New generation of designers
- Liset van der Scheer, The Bonnet Pouffes Collection + Casalis
- Christophe Pillet, The Outsider of french design
- OVO Editions, Duo with Pol Quadens
- Ron Arad, No Discipline
- Hèrmes…vu du ciel, Luxe, Design and Leisure
- Hermann Jünger, Found Treasures
- ENZO MARI, A view on the immensity
- Ettore Sottsass, Ettore Sottsass & Sottsass Associati
- Serge Mouangue, Twenty things you should know about Serge Mouangue...
- Marcel Wanders, The Kid from Boxtel
- David Trautrimas, HABITAT MACHINES
- Lagranja Design, Audace and Optimism
- Hella Jongerius, Dutch Design Days
- The Hotel PUR, Simplicity + balance
- Frank Tjepkema + Janneke Hooymans, The duo beyond Heineken The City
- Prisunic and design, A unique adventure
- Aqua Creations, Et la lumière fut !
- Design with a smile, Picture, if you will, design to be funny, humorous and impractical
- Pop Culture - Pop Style, Design from the fifties and sixties
- Gabriele Pezzini, Simply design
- 2008 VIA Labels, Manufacturer + designer + one vision
- Marie-Aurore Stiker-Métral, Have a seat!
- Dirk Schrijvers, An avant-gardiste collector
- Voices, Contemporary ceramic design from Sweden
- A Tribute to Müller-Brockmann, 19th International Poster and Graphic Design Festival of Chaumont
- Studio Fulguro, Interactive designers
- CHINA DESIGN NOW, The Red Dragon
- MOBIJunior, Kids + Design
- Moroso, Hi-tech design haute couture
- Andrew Aloisio, Somewhere in Between
- Olivier Peyricot, PSYCHOMOULAGES
- Joris Laarman, Strange shapes. Strange sizes. Strange spirit.
- Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec, The French Touch
- Oki Sato + Nendo, XXIst Century Man for Issey Miyake
- Outofstock, Sebastian + Gustavo + Wendy + Gabriel
- Reza Abedini, A Persian slant
- 5.5 Designers, Un pour tous, tous pour un
- What kind of design for the 21th century?, Object or Piece of Art...
- The 21th Century will be feminine!, 9 designers who are transforming the contemporary design world
- Hetal Jariwala + Eva Bauer, Deux filles et un sac Flip & Tumble
- Nathalie Dewez, A luminous talent
- Marina Bautier, Atelier A1
- Goodbye Mister Ettore Sottsass!, 1917 - 2007
- Tomorrow Now, When design meets science fiction
- Mathieu Lehanneur, BEL-AIR, a new air-filtering system using plants
- Fabio Novembre, Women, I love you
- Great Indoors Awards winners 2007, Photographic Report
- Oki Sato, From Toronto to Tokyo by Nendo
- Stephen Burks, Designer of Natural Geometries
- Konstantin Grcic, The Galaxy of Objects
- Julie Mathias + Michael Cross, Romanticism and poetry by Wokmedia
- The emerging design, Palm Enroute Awards in mobility design 2007
- Inga Sempé, Sophisticated Lady of French design
- 5 Designers at Nike Bauer Hockey, Time out!
- Ron Arad, Industrial design by architecture influences
- Ahn Sang-Soo, Master of Korean graphic design
- Nipa Doshi + Jonathan Levien, The Ying and Yang of London’s industrial design
- Esthétique Domestique, Household appliances then and now
- International Contemporary Furniture Fair, ICFF Editors Awards 2007
- Joe Colombo, The Invention of the Future
- Airs de Paris, Paris as a point of convergence of design and architecture
- Toshiyuki Kita, Environmentalist designer
- American Streamlined Design, The World of Tomorrow
- Elhadi Yazi, Portrait: Elhadi Yazi, graphic designer in some letters…
- Design Life Now, National Design Triennial 2006
- Do not disturb - Drake Hotel, The Drake Hotel in Toronto
- MASSAUD, From chaos to meaning
- Omer Arbel, 20 things you should know about Omer Arbel...
- Vancouver's Cito Espresso Café, One of a kind
- Poul Kjærholm, The Furniture Architect
- Portrait: Gino Finizio, Under the banner of the transavantgarde
- Do not disturb - Gault Hotel, Comfort Zone
- 3rd Uncle Design, A multidisciplinary design studio
- ORA-ITO, Audacious designer
- Alain Michel FAGNIDI, A contemporary and refined view of African art
- Generation X, The global village
- Design Home
Lululemon Outlet Five Fingers Shoes ray ban sunglasses Oakley Sunglasses Sale Cheap Michael Kors Michael Kors Outlet Canada Lululemon Canada Sale MK Outlet Tiffany and Co Lululemon Yoga Clothing Will Make You Moving Freely Nike Air Max 2013 Plus spy+ Vibram Five Fingers Sale