Green(d), For Lack of a Better Word, Is Good. Beyond marketing campaigns and good intentions, it is time to look at the greening of America's businesses from the long-standing perspective of supply and demand.
The Mikou Design Studio
Twenty things about Salwa & Selma MikouArticle that our readers likes
Zanoah Bia, November 23, 2015
Zanoah Bia, November 23, 2015
Mikou Design Studio was created in 2005 by Selma Mikou and Salwa Mikou, after many years of collaboration with international architecture agencies, in particular Renzo Piano and Jean Nouvel, on projects on large private and public buildings, residences, offices and important redevelopments of public areas within the framework of re-qualification of urban and harbour planning. The references and expertise of Mikou Design Studio in the fields of architecture, engineering, urbanism and landscape design enable them to work in all types of projects, starting from initial design to completion. Mikou Design Studio is structured around Salwa and Selma Mikou architects DPLG, graduates from the school of Architecture Paris-Belleville, and a team of engineers and architects.
Selma Mikou, Architect Dplg
Graduated from the School of Architecture of Paris Belleville in 2000. After several experiences abroad, she joins Renzo Piano's practice from 2002 to 2005, working on a project in Abu Dhabi, housing and offices in London, and Lacma museum in Los Angeles. She is now a partner of Mikoustudio Architects, and works on cultural projects, public buildings and housing in France.
Salwa Mikou, Architect Dplg
Graduated from the School of Architecture of Paris Belleville in 2000. She worked from 2001 to 2005 with Jean Nouvel on international projects - residential and office buildings in Beirut, Seoul and Paris, urban projects in Doha, Valencia and Rabat, a cultural and educational centre in Kuwait city, a park in Barcelona and the studies for the Tanger Harbour. Today, she is a partner of Mikoustudio Architects in Paris.
Mikou Studio_Maison des Arts in Beirut
Philosophical conversation with the Mikou sisters...
EgoDesign Magazine: Who are you / how would you describe yourself?
Selma and Salwa Mikou: architects of the heart and mind. We were born in Fez (Marocco), right in the middle of the medina, a mysterious, strongly-charged, labyrinthine place that marks you for life.
E.D.: Tell us more about Mikou Design Studio, and your last works (Lighthouse Tower Rio, URSSAF and The Institute of Islamic Cultures for example)
Selma Mikou: Mikou Design Studio defines itself as a place of creation and experimentation in architecture and its inter-disciplinary cross-fertilisation. We work in a continuous workshop spirit with a multidisciplinary team of architects, engineers, graphic artists, scenographers and town planners from very different cultural backgrounds.
Every project is an excuse for re-questioning and redefining the meaning of a brief, a function, and an urban, social and human context, in order to invent new ways of living, places for sharing and gathering that are more sensitive and more sensual, and which stimulate feelings.
Our aim is to get away from preconceptions of form and function in order to transmit more and better. The Lighthouse Tower in Rio, the Maison des Arts centre in Beirut and the head office of URSSAF in Saint Etienne are within this perspective.
Mikou Studio_Maison des Arts in Beirut
Salwa Mikou: We are an organisation that reflects on and produces the buildings of tomorrow. We try to do more than simply transcribe a programme, a brief or functions from one project to another. We aim to bring out the meaning or even the symbolism of a project, to question the expression and the impact of the things we must design. We do not repeat the same forms or produce an identifiable style. Rather, we spontaneously create a specific response to a specific context, in keeping with a given situation or a specific place.
Mikou Studio_Maison des Arts in Beirut
E.D.: Is there a philosophy behind your work?
Selma Mikou: If anything, it would be how to give more. In the end, today’s house is not just a simple “machine for living”; and this is valid for all briefs. Our architecture looks for the fourth dimension, that of sensitive spatial perceptions, of communication and reconciliation between people through the cross-fertilisation of imaginations, whereby everyone can interpret and live a space in their own way, with an infinite number of possible appropriations. A building is above all a place of giving.
Salwa Mikou: Truth is not found in a single dream. My philosophy would be one of happiness. To make people happy, and to do a maximum with a minimum.
- The Vitra Campus, Architectural views
- Last Call for Planet Earth, Reflexions by Archi-World®
- Ieoh Ming Pei, An exceptional Architect
- The Shell House, Kotaro Ide, The Japanese Ecologist...
- I remember you Oscar Niemeyer., The Last Modernist...
- The Farnsworth House, Mies van der Rohe: LESS IS MORE
- Zaha Hadid, Goodbye Ms. Zaha Hadid. 31 October 1950 - 31 March 2016
- Yabu Pushelberg, Le Printemps Haussmann + Luxury and Accessories
- The R.R. House, How Nature influences the architecture - Vinicius Andrade + Marcelo Morettin
- Palimpsest and Emotion, The Cultural spaces
- Piero Lissoni, Goddess is in the details…
- The Canadian Epicurian, Arthur C. Erickson, The Lonely Star...
- David Adjaye, Urban Africa – A photographic journey
- The Three Mobile House, Slow Architecture with Hangar Design Group
- Tadao Ando, the Master..., La Fabrica
- The Dodler Grand Hotel, By Norman Foster & Partners
- The Seifert House, The Architecture at its purest
- Nigel Coates, Body as a metaphor of architecture...
- Mexico City, Architecture + Design in 7 motions
- Palazzo Orlandi, Photographic talks with Sabrina Bignami
- The XS House, Designed by Kim + Schenk - UNI
- The Ong & Ong House, 55 Blair Road in Singapore
- Tea House, Green vision by A1 Architects
- Palomba Serafini Associati, Creative requirements and regulatory
- Cino Zucchi, Freedom and Determinism
- Sou Fujimoto, Represent the intangible between the cave and the nest
- The VHM, Axis Viana Business & SPA Hotel
- Drift Bay House, Kerr Ritchie Architects
- Tropical Homes, The Eastern Caribbean’s Architecture
- Ayaspasa House in Istanbul, Seyhan Özdemir + Sefer Çaglar: Two Creative People
- Oslo Opera House, Dance with the artforms
- Sir Richard Rogers, Views & Architecture
- Paris Eight Project, Concept by ASAA
- Stephan Jaklitsch, Habits + Patterns + Algorithms 1998-2008
- Total Housing, New book by Actar
- Adam D. Tihany, Hospitality urban design
- The Qual Hill House, Bates Masi Architects
- CEBRA, Fuglsang Cuts
- Marcio Kogan, The Osler House
- Pezo von Ellrichshausen Architects, Fosc House
- The Architecture of Humeurs, New modes of architectural structuring and transaction
- Kristy Krone, The Apiary Project
- Bug Dome by The WEAK!, Marco Casagrande + Hsieh Ying-chun + Roan Ching-yueh
- Olivier Bourgeois, Trop de Bleu by In Progress Architecture
- The Design Firm, Satish Nayak Residence
- Pieta-Linda Auttila, WISA Wooden Design Hotel
- Zecc Architecten, Church of living
- Field Chapel in Boedigheim, Students of the College of Architecture at the Illinois Institute of Technology
- Pierluigi Piu, OLIVOMARE + OLIVINO
- Herzog & de Meuron, The duet of sublime and the picturesque one
- Tadao Ando, The most mystic architect in Japan
- Eero Saarinen, Back to the Future...
- Compartment House, Silent Light with Ario Danar…
- Foster + Partners, Working with History
- Civic Center in Saint-Germain en Laye, Simplicity Philippe Harden...
- Tadao Ando, Punta della Dogana
- 40_R Laneway House, Superkül Architects
- Sander Architects, Residence for a Sculptor
- Skylab Architecture, NORTH advertising agency
- AXEL SCHOENERT, Detox Hotel
- The Time of the boutiques, From booth to eBay
- FIFA : The splendour continues!, 27th International festival of films on art
- Dorte Mandrup + Cebra, Youth Recreation & Culture Center
- LIJO RENY architects, Dr. Cijo Jos and Dr. Thushara Cijo Residence
- Laure Tixier, Plaid Houses
- Quebec_2009 Architecture, Finalists for Awards of Excellence
- JVA, Triangle House
- Dolbeau-Mistassini Theatre, Theatrical setup of contemporary architecture
- GeneroCity, Out There: Architecture beyond Building
- MOS, Floating House
- WOMEN OF THE YEAR, 2008 Remarkable women
- LAVA - Laboratory for Visionary Architecture, Green Void
- Helen Zille, Twelve things you should know about Helen Zille, Mayor of Cape Town…
- Alessandro Mendini, The pantheistic of vision
- Sou Fujimoto, Children’s Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation
- Juvet Landscape Hotel, Do not disturb, birds are sleeping…
- Cyrille Druart, I-WAY
- Parasite Studio, White Apartment
- Coll-Barreu Arquitectos, Basque Health Department Headquarters in Bilbao
- Dupli.Casa House, Purity with J.MAYER H. Architects
- Hotel Habita Monterrey, Serenity in Mexico
- FARO Architecten BV, Experimental Home in Ijburg
- Aldo Cibic, Not an Archistar…
- Chapultepec Space, Design with at103
- EVERLAND HOTEL, Room with a view
- Presenhuber House, Zen attitude and austerity by AFGH
- Sanitas Per Aquam, Technical and aesthetic requirements of wellness facilities
- Carabanchel Housing, Dosmasuno Arquitectos
- Amalia House, Tribute to the nature
- Donna Karan, The color of Zen
- Jardins de Métis 2008, Coloured Reflections
- Christophe Dugied, Noctilus
- Dominique Perrault, From the "spirit of geometry" to "the spirit of subtlety"
- Opus Hotel, An oasis in Vancouver
- Claudio Silvestrin, Tridimensionality of modern architecture
- Alberto Mozó, BIP Computers Building
- The 2008 Governor General's Medals in Architecture, And the winners are…
- Maurice Nio, The Language of Architecture
- Design + Comfort space at Montréal -Trudeau, Aéroports de Montréal Lounge + International Finger
- Cadaval & Solà-Morales, The TDA house
- USEK - Kaslik, Lebanon, Student Housing
- Yuji Nakae, Akiyoshi Takagi + Hirofumi Ohno, NE Apartments
- Jean Nouvel, I believe the architect is a man who says something
- Terunobu Fujimori, Le gardien des traditions
- Zaha Hadid, Mobile Art: Chanel Contemporary Art Container
- Contemporary Jewish Museum, Conversation avec Daniel Libeskind in San Francisco
- Julius Shulman, All began just by chance
- Urbanopolis, What is the future of our urban planet?
- PAALMA, (Premio Artista + Architetto La Marrana Arte Ambientale)
- Yasuhiro Yamashita - Atelier Tekuto, Parabola House, visite guidée
- Indigo Hotel, A Boutique designed by Sebastian Irarrazaval
- Le Corbusier, The Art of Architecture
- S(E)OUL SCAPE, Towards a New Urbanity in Korea
- Jo Crepain, Anterwerpen in my mind
- Daniel Libeskind, Architecture is a communication art
- Moscow, Design and Architecture in 9 motions
- 20 Creative People/Architecture, Who are changing your world - 2008
- Charlotte Skene Catling, The Dairy House
- Bjarke Ingels, Twenty things you should know about BIG...
- Ørestad College, Ørestad, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Jürgen Mayer H., An der Alster 1 Building
- Toronto, Urban Design Awards
- Archizoom Associati, From the pop wave to the neutral surface
- MOSCOPOLIS, Eleven Musketeers + one city: Moscow
- Michel Rojkind, The rocker of mecixan architecture
- Kengo Kuma, Afternoon with an ecologist and poet architect
- 1973: Sorry, Out of Gas, Exploration of the architectural response to the 1973 oil crisis
- Zaha Hadid, Opus in Dubai, The sky is not the limit
- BEIJING, China’s new revolution
- As Antonio Gaudi as it gets, An archi-tour of Barcelona, where the street corners are all curves.
- The Atelier Bow-Wow, Momoyo Kaijima + Yoshiharu Tsukamoto
- The Island Machines, An Urban Dimension
- Eva Harlou, Twenty things you should know about Eva Harlou...
- Liu Tong Yu, Private House in Taipei
- Recipients of 2007 Awards of Excellence of RAIC, The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada have announced the recipients of the 2007 RAIC Awards of Excellence.
- Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa - SANAA, New generation of architects who designs the new Japan.
- JARDINS DE MÉTIS, From the barely audible to the highly melodic sound resonates in the contemporary garden
- Alter Architecture, Here, there & differently
- The Kitchen, a way of life, From shadow to light
- Berlin, Back on Track, The Berlin Hauptbahnhof
- Twenty things you should know about Nuno Grande & Pedro Gadanho..., Orange House - Casa em Carreço
- Which architecture plan for Quebec in this century?, OAQ Competition Finalists
- The urban oasis, Timeless Spaces
- Toyo Ito, Portrait
- 2006 Personality of the Year: Zaha Hadid, Zaha Hadid: the First woman architect to receive the Pritzker Architecture Prize
- Things you should know about Franklin Azzi..., ...in 13 questions
- Saucier + Perrote, 2006 Governor General’s Medals in Architecture for The Perimeter Institute for Theoretical physics
- A new standard housing of Japan, Special feature
- Frank Gehry + LVMH, same vision
- Frank Gehry, The magician
- Oscar Niemeyer, Joyous Curves
- The Nomadic Museum, An Arche of Paper
- Paul Laurendeau, A photography diary
- Michel A. Laflamme, A restrained architect
- Buenos Aires, Berlin, Montréal, 3 UNESCO Design Cities
- Which architecture plan for Quebec in this century?, List of Finalists
- Architecture Home
Lululemon Outlet Five Fingers Shoes ray ban sunglasses Oakley Sunglasses Sale Cheap Michael Kors Michael Kors Outlet Canada Lululemon Canada Sale MK Outlet Tiffany and Co Lululemon Yoga Clothing Will Make You Moving Freely Nike Air Max 2013 Plus spy+ Vibram Five Fingers Sale