Karina Sieres, June 22, 2006
Body and Soul, a trendy international makeup line, has been generating a buzz among fashionistas in places like Japan, Mexico, and the US. Thanks to Dan Malka and David Margoulis, the brand’s Montreal-based distributors, Canadian women have a whole new way to beautify. Ego caught up with Dan and David for a chat.
D.M. Enterprises is the exclusive distributor of Body & Soul in Canada. In fact, both of us decided to import these products because our wives were crazy about them. It’s a really fun product to market – very cheeky. Canadian women are loving it..
What’s the latest from Body & Soul?
Lip Jewels. This hydrating gloss, which contains vitamins A and E, has incredible staying power. It’s available in six different shades, some classic, others more trendy.
What is Body & Soul’s philosophy?
It’s based on the universality of our products. They need to not only satisfy the demands of professional makeup artists, but be wearable on an everyday, everywoman basis, as well.
What influences or inspires Body & Soul?
Hollywood in the 40s and 50s. Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn. Classic femininity, of a time when women devoted more care to their appearance.
Design contributes to glamour. Our hope is to evoke a period when cosmetics were unique, when women displayed decorative powder boxes and crystal perfume bottles on their dressing tables. We want to bring a sense of nobility back to the art of everyday cosmetics.
Determined, confident and beautiful women. Those who raise the bar on standards and who radiate an internal beauty.
Major brands or boutique-based “indie” brands?
Stick with the creative energy of small design teams. Tao Miller and E’Jay, for example, have built a following by combining their talent and knowledge to create an original line of cosmetics, something previously unavailable on the market.
Giorgio Armani and Michael Kors, because they’re both classic and casual.
Montreal. We’re Montrealers; the women here are incredible, modern and adventurous. They love our products, buy them and remain loyal.
Your favourite place for an evening out?
Any relaxed atmosphere where one can talk, preferably with a cigar and drink in hand...
Two choices: for modernity and energy, the W; for refinement, the Ritz-Carlton.
Prada, Steve Madden and Kenneth Cole.
- Origin of Fragrances, Through smoke…
- DSM by Rei Kawakubo, New Flagship Concept
- Arzu Kaprol, Ecopolis Girl...
- Dr Maya Angelou, PHENOMENAL WOMAN
- L’Éclaireur by Arne Quinze, A certain fashion space idea by Arne Quinze
- Blackness + Business in 2015, According to fashion industry and magazines, black models don't sell…
- Shoes, Feminine Attitude... (only in french)
- Alek Wek, The Queen of Dinka tribe
- Émile Hermès, Craftman of French luxury
- F.C. Gundlach, The Photographic Work
- Wafrica II, Parallel variations
- The Sens au Masculin...AND THE BEAUTY IN 2015!, Twenty things you should know about Francis Kurkdjian...
- Raffinati, Fashion space seen by Blazys Gérard
- Azzedine Alaïa, The King of Cling
- Patrick de Warren, Mysticism in photography...
- Howard Schatz, H2O
- Iris Apfel, The fashion’s latest Grande Dame
- Arthur Elgort, Timeless of subject
- Shu Uemura, The Japanese art of beauty
- Ying Gao, Fashioning the intangible: the conceptual clothing
- Nana Boateng, An African Prince in New York
- Helena Christensen, The Lady
- Mona Ibrahim + Ebon Heath, Stereo.type + Typographic jewelry
- The Peart brothers, Twenty things you should know about Dexter & Byron Peart...
- Nigel Parry, An English man in New York…
- Christian Graciel, Twenty things you should know about Christian Graciel...
- Patrizio Di Renzo, The Amarcord Tabelau
- Panichgul + Theallet + Ackermann, New fashion stars to follow...
- Giles Deacon, Deconstruction - Humanoid Construction
- Hussein Chalayan, Récits de mode
- Suzaan Heyns, The Avant-garde from South Africa
- Andreas H. Bitesnich, Body as a metaphor of the dress
- Lamija Suljevic, Twenty things you should know about Lamija Suljevic...
- Teresa Helbig, Barcelona Touch
- Christian Louboutin, The fetishist
- Camouflage, From battlefield to catwalk
- Jose Castro, Hispanic Touch!
- Trousers London, One Girl + Three Boys
- Hamansutra, Twenty things you should know about Hamansutra...
- Agatha Ruiz de la Prada, Qué calor!
- Next Haute Couture, New generation of avant-garde designers
- Maria Barros, MAIÓLICA Collection
- Elisa Dahan + Eran Elfassy, Mackage in New York
- Georges Chakra, Spring/Summer 2010 Couture Show Paris Fashion Week...
- 20 Dresses for Europe, FASHION + DESIGN + LETTERS
- Karl Lagerfeld + Jérôme Coste, Les Ateliers Ruby
- Kate & Laura Mulleavy, Rodarte to Be Featured in “Quicktake” Installation
- Katherine Soucie, Vanitas collection
- Sonia Rykiel, Belle en Rykiel for H&M
- Uzbekistan Style, Dom Stylia General Fashion Show09
- Oi Fashion Rocks Brazil 2009, When Music influences Fashion and vice versa
- Georges Chakra, "Edition by Georges Chakra" Spring/Summer 2010
- Pure Poison + Dream 45, Color of soul by Patrizio Di Renzo
- Dewi Sarah Pfeiffer, Rhythmic Fashion
- Prada Transformer, A Work in progress structure
- I Show 2009, Antwerp Fashion Department
- Anna Schwamborn, Mourning Objects
- The Model as Muse, Embodying Fashion
- Fashioning Felt, Raw Material
- Derek Lam store in New York, By Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa - SANAA
- Jean Després, Bijou Art déco et Avant-garde (in french only)
- CONNECTIONS, 100 textile objects from the museum’s own collection in their (cultural-) historical context
- Debbie Sutton, Twenty things you should know about Debbie Sutton...
- Roxanne Lowit, Juxtaposing
- Jean-Luc Blanc, OPERA ROCK!
- Yohji Yamamoto, Y-3 AUTUMN/WINTER 2009
- Stephen Jones, Hats: An Anthology by Stephen Jones
- Hussein Chalayan, From fashion and back
- David LaChapelle, Retrospective
- Paris Haute Couture S/S 09, Our favorites!
- Russel James, Backstage Girls
- Gérard Uféras, Magicien de la lumière
- Designers we love, Pieces of fine art…
- Anthony Chambert & Baby Cat, Shooting “Rock It!”
- Dinh Bá Nguyen, Kaleidoscope of elegance + sophistication
- Samuel Dong, Features florals
- Katherine Soucie, Sans Soucie, nouvelle griffe de Vancouver
- Galoshes by Swims, Norway 1, Canada 0
- RRRIPP!!, PAPER FASHION
- Sonia Rykiel, The Queen of Knitwear - 2009 Spring-Summer Collection
- Jean-Paul Gaultier, Spring Summer 2009
- Femmes, je vous aime, Nine decades of fashion photography
- Anna Sui, Folk + Hippies Attitude
- Annie Leibovitz, A Photographer’s Life
- Surreal things, Mix Creativity
- Mario Testino, Ouf of Fashion!
- Fashion V Sport, Just wear it!
- Bruno Pieters, Antwerp golden boy
- Lamine Badian Kouyaté, Xuly Bët's architect
- Viktor & Rolf, The House of Viktor & Rolf
- Milan Fashion Week 08, Ready-to-wear Men_09 Spring/Summer
- Giorgio Armani, The essence of style
- Teen City, The adventure of adolescence
- Marc Jacobs, The ace of spade of Louis Vuitton
- A tribute to Yves Saint Laurent, 1936 - 2008
- New young african designers, Old Mutual Vukani Fashion Awards 08
- DYSFASHIONAL, ADVENTURES IN POST STYLE
- Christian Kettiger, Guy Bourdin's disciple
- John Galliano + Victoire de Castellane, Two excentric creative beyond Dior
- Florencia Mazza, L’oeil féminin de Buenos Aires…
- Jaime Hayon, These are quite big shoes to be filled
- Kimono, No ordinary dress
- Naoki Takizawa, Take a Walk with Issey Miyake’ creative son
- Antonio Marras, The man behind the new Kenzo’s Woman
- Josephine Meckseper, Why are you look at me ?
- Tamara Mellon, Jimmy Choo supremo
- Manish Arora, Le Pacha de la Mode indienne
- Peter Knapp, He loves Women!
- Miuccia Prada, Ten Gold fingers
- Dai Fujiwara, Héritier de l'esprit créatif
- Duro Olowu, Back to the source
- Yohji Yamamoto, Juste un designer
- A tribute to Gianfranco Ferré, 1944 - 2007
- Best ready to wear F/W 2007-2008 in Paris, Collections of couturiers and fashion designers
- 20 Creative People/Fashion, Who are changing your world - 2008
- Manolo Blahnik, Every Shoes tells a Story
- Mary-Kyri Pallaras, Don't walk this way
- Carol Lim & Humberto Leon, Opening Ceremony
- Sandra Backlund, In No Time
- Lidewij Edelkoort, A day at l’Usine studio, with the new trends guru
- Michael Kors, About KORS by Michael
- Savile Row, The Mecca of modern male elegance
- Tom Ford, Talent, sex and power
- Avant-garde STYLE, Introducing the future of clothing - from liquid-repellent cotton to vitamin-infused pantyhose
- Le Berlin des créateurs, PARIS - BERLIN 1987 – 2007
- DSquared², Hot, Fun and Sexy
- Rei Kawakubo, Une fille pas Comme des Garçons
- Liya Kebede, African Queen with heart and beauty
- Ozwald Boateng, The dandy of Savile Row
- Richard Avedon, Creator of portraits
- Souvent femme varie..., The changing faces of womanhood
- Moly Kulte, Genevieve Dumas and Genevieve Flageol, young designers politically ecologists
- 15 Finnish Fashion Designers, New Arrivals - Starring Finnish Fashion
- Eve Gravel, Daring visionary
- Dutch Fantasy, New Dutch fashion illustration and photography
- Doo.Ri, Rodarte and Thakoon, new talents., Ready for your labels !
- Buenos Aires, A creative renaissance
- Winter woolies for women in Milan, -
- Paris Fashion Show - Haute-Couture and Ready-to-wear 2007, -
- Milano Moda Donna 2007, World’s most important window for man’s prêt-à-porter. The collections for Fall/winter 2007-2008 on pictures…
- Andy Thê-Anh, Boys will be boys
- Skin + Bones: Parallel Practices in Fashion and Architecture, First major museum exhibition devoted to fashion and architecture
- A tribute to Cristobal Balenciaga, -
- Marisa Minicucci, Fashion architect
- Mystique Hotel..., Fashion & Architecture
- kamkyl, A cosmopolitan touch
- Fashion Home